Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 7 – How your parents took it or how you think they might take it

I'm out two and a half years to my parents. It's been a long journey. When I first came out in July 2008 they had no idea what was coming. I sat them down during the break of Emmerdale and just told them outright. My Mum denies this now but her jaw hit the floor and she didn't speak for a good five minutes. Dad went into overdrive, asking me loads of questions, how long I'd know etc. It took them both a long time to even mention it to me again. I was on gay overdrive, so thrilled to be out of the closet and discovering my new community. I must have been tough to love with, especially as it was all so new to them. But gradually they came round to the idea. Mum first. I knew they were okay with it when they started joking, my Mum in particular asking if women were just as bad as men!

They've met a few of my partners over the past 30 months, liked and disliked, but treated them all with the same respect they treated any boy my sister or I ever brought home. They've stood up for me against ignorant family members and adore my girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment