Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 4 – The first person you came out to and that story

As I said in Day 3 I tried to tell friends when I was 15. They were convinced I liked somebody in my class and were on at me to tell them who. So I told them I'd made a mistake, I wasn't gay.

The next time I ventured out of the closet I was more sure. I was 19, and it was during my 6 months of 'finding the problem' I'd taken after splitting up with my long term boyfriend. I don't remember the exact details, I was shit scared to actually say it. I was out on a drive round town with a friend and my little sister. I made some comment after we'd passed The George pub and my sister asked me outright if I was gay, to which I replied yes, I was. It felt like forever waiting for her response, but in fact it was merely a few seconds. Again, I don't remember her exact words but it was something along the lines of 'Cool.'.

It was around that time that I joined BeLonG To, the LGBT youth services in Dublin. Soon after I came out to my folks and slowly to everybody else in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment