Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ahh relationships

I haven't exactly been a hermit (or indeed a slut) for my adult life. More a serial relationshipist. The problem with this is I've been exposed to pretty much every type of crazy there is going and I can't pretend it hasn't affected me. Mostly these effects have been positive, wait a while before getting serious, don't dive in and make her friends yours, don't date somebody to support yourself emotionally, all the things we learn as we find ourselves in the dating world.

Recently however, I can't deny the negative effects my many relationships have had on me. I've had a busy and stressful few months, new college course, a ton of volunteering work, family issues and a new relationship. This relationship is by far the healthiest I've ever been in. But I find myself under stress and conditioned by the way I was treated before. And all of this is coming out on my poor (over worked and also stressed) girlfriend, making things strained between us and causing fights left right and centre.

The perfect partner won't solve all our problems, won't avoid all the mistakes others have made, won't turn us into perfect partners. But they'll make it worth all the heartache and arguing that every relationship will encounter at some point or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment