Thursday, July 30, 2009

Guck and a Doat

I've decided. I'm going to live on a farm when I'm older. I'll have ducks and chickens and a sheep called Betty. I'm hesitant about cow's, scary buggers! A Shetland Pony would be deadly too.

Of course this is alongside the cats, dogs and children. I've always wanted kids. When I was 5 I turned to my family and announced that when I grew up I was going to have loads of kids but I wasn't going to get married. My Mum now says she should have known I was gay then.

I've been thinking about families since the Civil Partnership Bill has gone to The Dail. I'm finally pursuing a career I really want, but it's not overly well paid. This didn't bother me until I realised I'll need to be earning a certain amount to adopt as a single parent. I haven't looked up the regulations but I'm sure they're very very strict.

This, along with many others, is one of the reasons I'm fighting for marriage equality. I want equal treatment for my kids, I want to have the family I always dreamed of. As a kid I never dreamed of the white dress and the big party. I dreamed of the babies and children. The house with a massive garden, full of screaming happy children and animals. The birthday parties, communions, confirmations, school tests and pictures on the fridge. Going to see a very proud Nana and having their aunty over.

I know I can't do this alone, but more importantly I don't want to. I want to have someone to share these moments with, someone else who'll laugh at me for crying when I'm proud, who'll remember the silly things I'm known for forgetting. Someone to argue with me about the colour of the living room and hold me back from strangling mean teachers. Someone to tell me that rabbits with 4 cats isn't my best idea.

I want it all. Is it that much to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment